The law

Documents To Take Driving Abroad

Always make sure your documents are in order before you go as you may be required to produce them at any time. Failure to do so could result in a police fine or even having your car impounded.

It is your responsibility to ensure that you have all documentation needed to comply with the requirements of immigration, customs, health and other relevant regulations.

If you are travelling in a vehicle other than a car you may need additional documents.


  1. valid full (not provisional) driving licence
  2. driving licence paper counterpart – if you have a photocard licence
  3. an International Driving Permit (when necessary)
  4. vehicle registration document (V5c) – the original not a copy
  5. motor insurance certificate
  6. passport(s)
  7. your travel insurance documents
  8. You may need a visa for certain countries too.

Check with your broker or motor insurer to make sure you have the cover you expect when driving abroad. They may ask to be notified when you travel abroad.

 Leased, Hired Or Borrowed

If you are taking a vehicle abroad that is company owned, hired or borrowed you will need a letter of authorisation from the registered keeper.

In addition you will need to take either the original vehicle registration document (V5c) or a Vehicle on Hire certificate (VE103).

The VE103 is the only legal alternative to the vehicle registration document and can be obtained from the vehicle funder, rental company or the BVRLA.

In An Emergency

112 is the European emergency call number you can dial anywhere in the European Union in case of accident, assault or in any other distress situation.

Leave a Reply