Duty of care
In-Vehicle Technology Policy Example
(on company headed paper)
Company In-Vehicle Technology Policy
As part of our overall health and safety policy, (Company Name) is committed to reducing the risks which our staff face and create when driving or riding for work. We ask all our staff to play their part.
Staff using in-vehicle technology for work must ensure that they always use it safely. Persistent failure to comply with the policy will be regarded as a serious disciplinary matter.
Senior Manager Must:
Lead by example, both by ensuring that their own vehicle is always in a safe condition and by not tolerating poor driving practice among colleagues.
Line Managers Must Ensure:
- They also lead by personal example
- That any technology provided is suitable for the needs of staff
- Staff understand their responsibilities about in-vehicle technology
- Staff receive appropriate training and advice periodically to ensure they can use in-vehicle technology safely
- Regular visual inspections are conducted of monadic technology to ensure that they are safely located and can be safely used by the driver
- Work related road safely is included in team meetings and staff appraisals and periodic checks are conducted to ensure our vehicle policy is being followed
- They follow the monitoring, reporting and investigating procedures to help learn lessons which could help improve our future road safety performance
- They challenge unsafe attitudes and behaviours and encourage staff to take care of their vehicles
Staff Who Use In-Vehicle Technology Must:
- Ensure they do not use in-vehicle technology inappropriately.(e.g. entering data while the vehicle is moving)
- Read the instruction manual to understand how the system works
- Report any problems about using the equipment to their line manager
- Report road safety problems, including crashes, incidents, fixed penalty notices, summons and convictions for any offence, including vehicle defects, to their line manager
- Present their driving licence regularly and on request
- Co-operate with monitoring, reporting and investigation procedure